Spreading the Knowledge!

Monday, February 7, 2011

To All the Apps I've Loved Before...

I was a few days late and a couple dollars short to the Iphone party. I hate to admit it, but I only VERY recently jumped on the app train and did so with no map of where to go to find anything useful.

Does anybody realize how much junk (expensive app-junk, too!) is out there?

It's hellacious. But, if you find the right ones, these apps also make for a pretty streamlined Iphone experience when you're flexing your creative muscle and sweating through your WIP.

Because I love all of you (I really do), I'll share my favorites and hope they bring you as much joy as they bring me.

BabyName Shaker: Ok, this one is just fun. I shake this thing all the time, regardless of whether or not I need a character name. I just like to see how far off into the galaxy this thing can take me. But when I do need help (especially for secondary characters...they all seem to be named "Mark" or "Bob" for some reason) it's a great resource.

WorkLog LT: Unless you're a paid freelancer, this isn't a must have. But the app lets you create projects and you can clock in and out of them as you work. It's a neat piece of information to have if you're interested in the amount of time it takes you to crank out that epic space opera or BDSM novella. Just sayin'.

StoryTeller: I like this one. I can push "First Line" for hours on end and dream of the possibilities. Same goes for setting. And characters, well, their suggestions are comical...in the good way. It's a great writing block buster if you're hard up for the next line or maybe when you're searching for an overall theme ("God has a sense of humor" is one. I swear.)

ThinkingMap: My favorite. Honestly. I love brainstorming and it helps me plan my overall writing career plan for the year. Between blogs and classes, submissions and critiques, this thinking map app is a lifesaver. My favorite overall.

Goodreads App: I got this because I recently branched out and started my own review site and needed a resource like this. It's a little harder to maneuver through than the original Web site, but c'mon...how nice is it to hit the button and not have to scroll through your phone's Internet browser each time you need to look up a title.

Creative Whack Pack: It was the priciest one I splurged on ($2.99) but a lot of fun. If you're stuck somewhere in your story, hit the button and a card pops up with some creative advice. A new way of looking at your problem, a new vantage point. Highly recommended.

So these are my favorites so far. Yes, I spend a lot of time on them when I should be writing, but I have found them incredibly useful to have at my fingertips. What about you? Any app aces up your sleeve you'd like to share?

1 comment:

Anne Carrole said...

Thanks for these tips. I'm going to check them out.